placing of namespace declarations in result tree

Subject: placing of namespace declarations in result tree
From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:02:11 -0400 (EST)
Hi all,

I transform <link> elements in my source to <link> elements that uses xlink
attributes, which are associated with the xlink namespace   . In the output,
the xlink namespace declaration is present on all parents of link elements.
This is not what I would expect (after reading XSLT section 7.1.1). Why are
the xlink namespace declarations not present on the link elements
themselves? Or why is there not just one xlink namespace declaration on the
document element?

Source fragment:
request</link> is influenced by three main groups of settings.</p>

stylesheet fragment:
<xsl:stylesheet
  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0"
  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink/namespace/";>

[some template rules omitted]

<xsl:template match="link">
	<Link xlink:role="{@type}" xlink:href="{@ref}"><xsl:value-of
select="."/></Link>
</xsl:template>

result fragment:
<Paragraph xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink/namespace/";>A <Link
xlink:role="glossary" xlink:href="ciGL000001">billing request</Link> is
influenced by three main groups of settings.</Paragraph>