How to delete empty element tag from output XML?

Subject: How to delete empty element tag from output XML?
From: "Guangzu Wang (Houston)" <Guangzu.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:35:25 -0400
hi, I am new to this list and would appreciate your advice.

I use XSLT to convert XML to XML and HTML. I need to delete the tag when
there are no value in the output. for example, I have XSLT as following:
	<NAME><xsl:value-of select="N1" /></NAME>
I don't need <NAME /> or <NAME> </NAME>.
One way I can do it is use <xsl:if> outside of <Name> tag, but that's too
much for me because I have a lot of similar tags.

Another related question is that some time I need put a default value if
nothing there. Again I can use <xsl:if> to check it, but again it's too
tedious. is there sth like Default in  XML Schema in XSLT?

Thanks in advance.

Guangzu