Testing position of parent

Subject: Testing position of parent
From: Paul Caton <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:27:51 -0400 (EDT)
Apologies for posting what will probably turn out to be a trivial
problem, but I'm having a serious brain-block in spotting my mistake
here. I want my template for <l> elements to impose the following test
condition:

   if the parent is an <LG> which has first position among its

Here's what I thought would be the expression to accomplish that:

   <xsl:when test="parent::lg[position()=1]">

However, when I apply the template to something like this:

<q>
  <lg type="quatrain">
   <l>I eat my peas with honey,</l>
   <l>I've done it all my life;</l>
   <l>It makes the peas taste funny</l>
   <l>but it keeps them on the knife.</l>
  </lg>

  <lg type="quatrain">
   <l>The boy stood on the burning deck,</l>
   <l>Eating peanuts by the peck;</l>
   <l>His mother said he would not go</l>
   <l>Because he loved those peanuts so.</l>
  </lg>
</q>

X gets done to every <l>, even the ones in the second <lg> that were
supposed to be excluded by the test. Can someone please slap me upside
the head and point out what I'm doing wrong?

Paul.

--
Paul Caton
Electronic Publications Editor

 e-mail: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    tel: (401) 863-3619
address: Box 1841, Brown University, Providence RI 02912