Re: [Re: Paging using XSLT]

Subject: Re: [Re: Paging using XSLT]
From: Ireney Berezniak <iberezniak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 18:16:11 -0400 (EST)

"Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | Wouldn't it be easier to simply paginate the
> | XML before it gets to the translator? ie.
> | throw windows of XML data at the translator
> | and translate for each page?
>
> Indeed. I've been out to several customers who've tried
> to do this "paging" in one way or another with XSLT. The least
> efficient way I've observed is a customer who was
> querying 25,000 rows of database data into XML
> (using the Oracle XML SQL Utility) and then using
> top-level stylesheet parameters and <xsl:if> elements
> in their stylesheet to "filter" the data to emit
> only rows N through M of those 25000 onto the browser.
> (Where M-N is usually in the 10-15 range).
>
> Yikes.
>
> Much more efficient is to, as you suggest, query-up/pass-in
> only the 15 rows in the current "window" you want to format
> and not to use the in-memory filtering capability of XSLT
> as a replacement for the fast indexes that a database might
> be able to use to quickly return just the rows you want
> to "see" on the current page.

The latter solution is the one I decided to implement for my paging
requirements. It works well, and so I would recommend that solution to anyone.
True, I haven't done serious load testing, but returns of 15-20 records are
quite speedy and much easier to manage than 25,000, for instance. No bulky XML
strings or DOM objects to move around, parse and transform.  Added benefit is
a much cleaner XSLT stylesheet.

ib.