RE: XSL to handle display mutliple pages

Subject: RE: XSL to handle display mutliple pages
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:21:31 -0400 (EST)
> 	I have a XML document that could have over 1,000
> database records,
> and I would like to split them up to multiple pages for
> display purposes,
> with Prev and Next button to advance between the pages.

If you've been following other threads you'll have seen the advice that if
you're getting the data from the database it's best to generate one XML
document for each displayed page of data.

However, at the level of 1000 records, handling a single document is quite
feasible and despite what others have said, if you're doing the processing
in the client I think it's quite a reasonable option, because it reduces the
number of hits on the server. You'll find an example using this sort of
architecture on page 608 of my book*: it's not doing paging in the way you
describe, but a similar kind of interactive navigation within a dataset.

Mike Kay
* XSLT Programmer's Reference published by Wrox Press, ISBN 1 861003-12-9