RE: XML and text declarations (was Can I access elements in the o utput tree?)

Subject: RE: XML and text declarations (was Can I access elements in the o utput tree?)
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:19:27 -0000
> So, now I'm confused! The xml output always renders an
> extParsedEnt [78],
> while I had the impression that it renders a document [1].

Your confusion is justified, the XSLT spec itself is confused on this point.
It says at one stage that the output is always an external general parsed
entity (EGPE) but later on, makes clear that it can be a document that is
not an EGPE, for example if it has a DOCTYPE declaration or uses
standalone="yes".

None of this alters the fact that the spec is quite clear that you can't use
the <xsl:processing-instruction> element to produce an XML declaration or
text declaration.

Mike Kay