Re: Templates, Q Names and namespaces

Subject: Re: Templates, Q Names and namespaces
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:23:12 -0800 (PST)
Hi Paul,

No reasons to worry -- your stylesheet will work without modifications,
as long as the namespace-uri for the different prefixes continues to be
the same (in your case "http:myco.com").

You'll continue to access my:elem by specifying m:elem, whatever:elem
-- as long as the "m:" and "whatever:" prefixes have been used in a
namespace declaration that associates them to the same namespace-uri --
in your case "http:myco.com". The reverse is also true -- you can
change the prefixes or use several different prefixes in your source --
as long as they've been associated with the same namespace-uri as the
prefix used in your stylesheet, then your stylesheet will continue to
access by the same Q-name the nodes with the changed prefixes.

You can check this for yourself with a simple stylesheet.
This is the correct behaviour of an XSLT processor according to the
XSLT/XPath specifications. I've verified that SAXON and MSXML 3 perform
exactly in this way.

In case the default namespace is re-defined in your source xml
document, then it will not be possible from a stylesheet to access by
name any un-preffixed elements (in scope of the redefinition) in the
source document -- even in the case when the same default namespace
redefinition is specified in the stylesheet.

Dimitre Novatchev.