Re: Char node-type

Subject: Re: Char node-type
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:09:57 -0800 (PST)
Until now I thought that the string-length(), substring() and other
string functions by design must deal correctly with combining "
'character-plus-Unicode-combining-
character(s)' sequences into an image representing the single combined
character.  "

If this was not so, they would be very difficult to use.
Could somebody confirm or deny this?

Dimitre Novatchev.

Richard Light wrote:
>The idea is that your character processing template should first check
the
>length of it's string. When it's exactly 1 then process the character
as you
>do now. Otherwise, call yourself recursively, once for the 1st half of
the
>string, then again for the 2nd half.

That's a thought.  What I have actually done for now is to split the
string on word boundaries (i.e. spaces), which reduces the load on the
stack too.  The problem with a 'binary chop' technique is that one
thing
we need to do is to combine 'character-plus-Unicode-combining-
character(s)' sequences into an image representing the single combined
character.  The chop could split them, unless it looked about for
spaces
before deciding exactly where to split the string.

Richard.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx