Re: zero-digit

Subject: Re: zero-digit
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:03:17 -0500
At 00/11/30 11:09 -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
It strikes me that the text describing the zero-digit attribute of the xsl:decimal-format element in the XSLT 1.0 spec may be wrong. What is stated in Section 12.3 is:

zero-digit specifies the character used as the digit zero; the default value is the digit zero (0)

The issues with this:

1. Why can we specify 0 but not 1 through 9?

Because the grammar includes only the use of the zero digit for significant digits, not any other digit.

Assuming this analysis is correct, I think an erratum needs to be published for XSLT 1.0. This erratum should delete the current bullet point "zero-digit specifies the character used as the digit zero; the default value is the digit zero (0)" It should add the following bullet point to the list of "The following attributes control the interpretation of characters in the format pattern:

zero-digit specifies the character used for a zero digit in the format pattern; the default value is the zero character (0)

Since the line you are citing is already in the context of the leading paragraph text "The following attributes both control the interpretation of characters in the format pattern", then I don't think your suggestion is necessary. What is missing about the context that you feel requires the redundant statement in the bullet?

Because of the leading paragraph, I never interpreted the attributes to mean anything other than the format pattern ... what indication did you have that these attributes were germane elsewhere?

-- G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995) Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML services, training, libraries, products. Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN1-894049-05-5 Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman Next public instructor-led training: 2000-12-03/04,2001-01-27, - 2001-02-21,2001-02-27/03-01,2001-03-05/07,2001-04-06/07