Re: conflicting template rules

Subject: Re: conflicting template rules
From: Jiri Jirat <Jiri.Jirat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:32:52 +0100
Hello,
 here is a standard excerpt (XSLT recommendation, section 5.5):

"It is an error if this leaves more than one matching template rule. An
XSLT processor may signal the error; if it does not signal the error, it
must recover by choosing, from amongst the matching template rules that
are left, the one that occurs last in the stylesheet."

So the last one.

It is better to use the priority attribute.

Best regards
Jirka

Schlee Stefan wrote:

> The standard states rules for resolution of conflicts between template rules
> to which different priorities can be assigned or
> template rules which are imported (included) from different sources into the
> same XSLT file. What I miss are rules for resovling
> the conflict that arises if two or more template rules are specified in the
> same XSLT with exactly the same priority, for example:
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
> version="1.0">
>
> <xsl:template match="USERLIST">
>    <test1>XXX</test1>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="USERLIST">
>    <test2>YYY</test2>
> </xsl:template>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> xalan only outputs the "test2" element. Is this behaviour covered by the
> standard or is it parser specific.
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> Stefan Schlee / TICon

 <name firstName="Jirka" surname="Jirat"/>
 <mail>     jiratj@xxxxxxxxx  </mail>
 <support>  http://www.zvon.org </support>