Re: xsl:key vs DTD ID attribute Performance issue

Subject: Re: xsl:key vs DTD ID attribute Performance issue
From: Scott_Boag@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:34:30 -0500
Using ID should be faster on most implementations.

-scott

                    "Melvyn Rosengarden"
                    <melrose@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:     <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    .com>                        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                    Sent by:                     Subject:     xsl:key vs DTD ID attribute Performance issue
                    owner-xsl-list@mulber
                    rytech.com

                    11/30/00 06:28 PM
                    Please respond to
                    xsl-list

I am currently exploring all options available to me to improve XSLT
Transform performance.
I am trying to evaluate the difference between using a DTD  ID type
attribute or an XSLT key with a
"static" XML file whose resultant DOM is cached for reuse.

I am postulating that since an ID attribute is defined in the DTD, when the
XML is parsed to an input
tree an internal index table is built mapping the ID to the node's memory
address, resulting in the
fastest possible navigation. On the otherhand since the <xsl:key..../> is
defined as a top level element
of the stylesheet I would imagine that every time the stylesheet is used it
must traverse the entire DOM
to build it's index table, resulting a poorer overall performance.

Would someone knowledgeable about the inner workings of the transform
engine
be generous enough
to comment.... Thanks..

"You already have zero privacy -- get over it !!
Melvyn Rosengarden
melrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx