[xsl] Beginners and the XSLT spec

Subject: [xsl] Beginners and the XSLT spec
From: "Bob DuCharme" <bobducharme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:04:49 -0500
I'm writing something on issues for XSLT beginners to keep in mind when they
read the XSLT specs (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt and
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt11/) and would like input from any beginners about
what makes the spec difficult for them to follow. Like any W3C spec, the
XSLT Recommendation and 1.1 Working Draft are A) *the* primary resources and
B) written for people who already understand most of the terminology used,
which can frustrate novices.

I don't want to start a thread on What's Wrong With the XSLT Spec here; I'm
writing something to address an issue that isn't the spec's job to address:
XSLT newcomers' difficulties with it. For example, which often-used terms
have definitions that are difficult to dig up (top-level?  NCName? QName?)
Which abstractions are abstract enough that it took you a while to realize
that they applied to your problem after all?

Feel free to e-mail me privately.

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii