Re: [xsl] Identity preservation of nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identity preservation of nodes
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:13:01 +0000
Hi Handren,

> I wonder if XSL preserve the identity of items in the XML Query Data
> Model, that is to say if each node represented by XSL data model for
> the input XML document(s)has the same unique identifier as in the
> source/input XML document or it generates its own ID for each node.

I don't think anyone's replied to this, probably because it's a little
hard to grasp what you're asking :)  I'll just tell you what XSLT does
about the identity of nodes and hopefully that'll answer your
question.

If the XML source to an XSLT transformation refers to a DTD that has
ID-type attributes in it, then these IDs are kept on the elements that
have them, and you can access elements according to their ID with the
id() function.

In any case, the generate-id() function can be used to
generate/retrieve an ID for any node within the source (or any other)
document. Each ID is unique, but it may change each time the document
is processed, and will differ from processor to processor.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Cheers,

Jeni

---