RE: [xsl] How to copy all child elements except specific one?

Subject: RE: [xsl] How to copy all child elements except specific one?
From: "Morris, Chris" <ChrisM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:49:55 -0600
>  <xsl:copy-of select="*[not(self::thisElement)]"/>
>
> does what you ask, but this method only works if you don't mind
> changing the order of your child nodes.

This is not quite what I need. I haven't given the full picture because I
was hoping I could pinpoint the question and apply it to my case. But here's
the full story.

I'm starting with this xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Level1>
  <Level2 Name="ALevel2Element">
    <Level3 L3Attr="L3AttrValue">

      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />

      <ChildElementToChange OldValue="A" NewValue="D" />
    </Level3>
  </Level2>
</Level1>

I want to get here:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Level1>
  <Level2 Name="ALevel2Element">
    <Level3>

      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
      <TestElementA Attr="Value" />

      <ChildElementToChange>
        <NewElement L3Attr="L3AttrValue" OldValue="A" NewValue="D" />
      </ChildElementToChange>
    </Level3>
  </Level2>
</Level1>

The tricky bit is moving the Level3 attribute into the modified
ChildElementToChange fragment.

I'm close at the moment -- I've got this XSL:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="xml"/>

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Level3">
  <xsl:copy-of select="*[not(self::thisElement)]" />  <!-- *** magic line
-->
  <xsl:variable name="L3Attr" select="@L3Attr" />
  <xsl:for-each select="ChildElementToChange">
    <xsl:call-template name="ChangeChildElement">
      <xsl:with-param name="L3Attr"><xsl:value-of select="$L3Attr"
/></xsl:with-param>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="ChangeChildElement">
  <xsl:param name="L3Attr" />
  <xsl:element name="ChildElementToChange">
    <xsl:element name="NewElement">
      <xsl:attribute name="L3Attr"><xsl:value-of select="$L3Attr"
/></xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:attribute name="OldValue"><xsl:value-of select="@OldValue"
/></xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:attribute name="NewValue"><xsl:value-of select="@NewValue"
/></xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:element>
  </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

But this copy-of expression you gave me eliminates the Level3 node from
being copied into the output (though all of its child nodes go down). I need
the copy-of to copy self (Level3), plus all children EXCEPT
ChildElementToChange because it will be modified via the template call.

So if I change the copy-of select to

  <xsl:copy-of select="." />

I get this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" ?>
<Level1>
  <Level2 Name="ALevel2Element">
    <Level3 L3Attr="L3AttrValue">
    <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
    <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
    <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
    <TestElementA Attr="Value" />
    <ChildElementToChange OldValue="A" NewValue="D" />
    </Level3>
    <ChildElementToChange>
      <NewElement L3Attr="L3AttrValue" OldValue="A" NewValue="D" />
    </ChildElementToChange>
  </Level2>
</Level1>

... which is close except:
- the original ChildElementToChange is retained
- the new ChildElementToChange is outside the Level3 element when it should
be inside
- the Level3 L3Attr is retained when it should be eliminated

Any ideas?

Chris