Re: [xsl] the nearest ancestor with the attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] the nearest ancestor with the attribute
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:00:54 +0000
Hi Wendell,

>> > ancestor::*/@attr
[snip]

>>I don't think so. The first in this case is the first in document order,
>>which isn't the nearest in the ancestor axis.
>
> Hm. About this, see XPath 2.4. ancestor is a reverse axis. I don't see
> anything here that changes the order to document order.

You're absolutely right that the ancestor axis is a reverse axis.  If
you were using:

  ancestor::*[1]/@attr

you'd be fine (aside from the fact that you'd be stuffed if the node's
parent didn't have a 'attr' attribute). However, the last axis used in
the XPath is the 'attribute' axis, which takes you back to document
order again. To get the last one, use:

  ancestor::*/@attr[last()]

At least I *think* that's right ;)

Jeni