Re: [xsl] "Improve your XSLT coding five ways"

Subject: Re: [xsl] "Improve your XSLT coding five ways"
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:59:07 -0700
> > In the new tutorial by Benoît Marchal
> >
> > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xslt5.html?dwzone=xml
> >
> > there is one chapter about HTML entities, and I don't understand
> > why to use non-breaking space in such a complicated way. Until now, I
> > simply used &#160; in XSL, which works fine and results in &nbsp;
> > in the HTML output.
> >
> > The author recommends
> > <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;nbsp;</xsl:text></td>
> > Why is that?

It's quite frustrating to find this on IBM dW.  It is, of course, bad advice.

> I don't understand why somebody would recommend that *unless* he absolutely
> needs the representation as &-n-b-s-p-; in the output (however the author
> doesn't state that this is the reason).

Actually, 4XSLT and Saxon, that I know of, will automatically replace &#160;
with &nbsp; in the HTML output method, and so on with other HTML characters
with named entities.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101