[xsl] Can I parameterise encoding in xsl:output

Subject: [xsl] Can I parameterise encoding in xsl:output
From: Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:30:26 +0800
Hi, I have the following simple XSL file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
    version="1.0"

<xsl:template match="/">
<head>
<title>foo</title>
</head>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Given, the following input XML
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<dummy/>

The output at least from 4xslt http://www.fourthought.com/ is

  <head>
      <META HTTP-EQUIV='Content-Type' CONTENT='text/html; charset=UTF-8'>
      <title>foo</title>
</head>

I am looking to generate output in different languages via the use of
parameters and with the source files having appropiate XML fragments,

however as such with the above tag generated needs to be parameterised else
browsers will get confused

I thought of doing this

<xsl:param name="enc" select="'iso-8859-1'"/>
<xsl:output
    encoding="$enc"
	 />

but this doesn't seem to work. 4xslt bombs out whereas Saxon 6.0.2 gives
the following

Any suggestions ?

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas