RE: [xsl] format-number underspecified (Was: XSLT 1.1 comments from Steve Muench)

Subject: RE: [xsl] format-number underspecified (Was: XSLT 1.1 comments from Steve Muench)
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:26:19 -0000
> >Oracle has both Java and C implementations. I did not hear
> the developers
> >of our C implementation complaining about format-number(). They just
> >implemented the behavior as noted in the spec.
>
> What spec is that, Steve? I have not seen a spec that is
> complete enough
> to cover all the details. I consider it a big conformance issue. Here
> are my prior comments within the Xalan community: ....

I'd add another comment, for completeness. The XSLT 1.0 specification
doesn't say what happens if the format pattern is invalid, for example, if
it contains characters that have a defined meaning in JDK 1.2 but not in JDK
1.1. At the moment the output from Saxon depends on which JDK you are using.

So it's not only the non-Java implementors who have problems with this one!
As Scott (I think) said, it looks with hindsight like a mistake.

Mike Kay