[xsl] newspaper layout with FOs?

Subject: [xsl] newspaper layout with FOs?
From: "HIEBERT,STEVE (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <steve_hiebert@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:49:09 -0800
Hi.  Long time lurker; first time poster.

I've been poring over the XSL 1.0 Candidate Recommendation, reading the
FAQs, etc., and I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would create a
"continued on" page citation a' la column continuations in a newspaper.

It's even worse than that because I'd actually like to start two or more
flows in separate columns on page one and at the end of the column for each
flow emit a "continued on page ##" for each, filling in the "##" with the
page number where the flow continues.  I'd like the two or more flows from
page one to be placed one after the other on following pages.

The problem I have is that fo:page-number-citation returns the page number
of the first normal area from the object.  Ignoring the desire to begin
multiple parallel flows on page one, I still have the problem that all my
continuation lines would  refer to page one.

It'd be even better if I could get a fo:column-number-citation but I don't
even see that at all.

Have I missed something?  If not, are there plans to enable newspaper layout
in XSL's future?

Steve