Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments -Examples please

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments -Examples please
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:48:40 +0000
Uche Ogbuji writes:

 > Oh boy.  I'm not very familiar with either (we use our own
 > lightweight docbook stylesheet with nary an extension function).
 >
 > I guess some good comes of it:  I have a handy place to start in finding
 > common extension functions to catalog.

I am amazed that you can survive without an extension to make multiple
files from one document. I needed this about a week after I first
tried to write XSLT.

For what its worth, I maintain 7504 lines of XSL code to support the
TEI DTD (for both FO and HTML), and I find that

 - I rely on multiple output files
 - I do not use node-set for daily work (but frequently in one-off hacks)
 - I call a Date function from Java, but it is not essential
 - I have just started to use Saxon's system-id, to save passing in
   the file name as a parameter
 - If someone gave me a function to test if an XML file exists before
   I call `document()' on it, I'd be very happy indeed (any offers?)

otherwise I am portable (though I do use most of XSLT, which means
that eg Sablotron cannot cope)

sebastian