Re: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: Reliance on import precedence considered dangerous

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: Reliance on import precedence considered dangerous
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:14:19 +0000
Hi Dimitre,

>> David said that he had a real-life example of this problem.
>
> David said this was a problem -- not that this was useful.

I hope you're not implying that David would ever try to do anything
that wasn't useful?!? ;)

>> Having thought about it some more, the real issue is if both B & C
>> (which both import D and are both imported by A) override something
>> in D in different ways. I don't think(?) that a virtual attribute
>> would address this problem?
>
> It will, because there will not be a second imported identical
> stylesheet that precedes some overrides.

Sorry, I was talking here about:

      B -- D
     /
  A +
     \
      C -- D

where B and C both contain the same named template. They both happen
to be overriding the same named template in D (which is how come they
have the same name), but that's really by the by. In terms of this
particular template, you can forget about D - it's not important. The
tree may as well look like:

     /
  A +
     \

There are no identical stylesheets in this situation but the problem
(of a stylesheet no longer behaving as it did when it was standalone)
still occurs as the template in C overrides the template in B.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison