Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status

Subject: Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status
From: "Jacobs,David B." <djacobs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:51:23 -1000
> You really don't think of your input XML Document as a document at all.
> But as some kind of data source out of which things may be extracted.

Exactly :-).

> I'd expect the following to be exercise 1 in a beginning XSL course
> and it can't be achieved using the methods you recommend (which is
> why I see them as limited in the extreme)

Yes, I see your point.  From a "document" perspective, push IS much simpler.
With web applications, I find myself dealing with XML messages (via SOAP,
Jabber, subroutines, etc) that are mainly packaged up information not really
a "document" in the traditional sense.

So I think we have discovered that depending on your application for XSLT,
different perspectives are useful.

This has been a great discussion for me.  I hope for others as well.
David