Re: [xsl] Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: RE: syntax sugar for call-template)
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:58:39 -0700
> I personally think that a function for dynamic invocation of functions
> would be more helpful.  Your method above is good because, as you say,
> you can pass by position or by name (I'm not sure how you get the two
> to mix - perhaps you can expand on that?).  This means that unlike the
> method that Uche and I were talking about:
>
>   exsl:call('my:func', 'Name1', Value1, 'Name2', Value2)
>
> it could also be applied to existing XPath functions that do not have
> a concept of 'named' arguments, only positional ones.  For example,
> with your method you could do:
>
>   x:fn('substring-before', '$string', '$char')
>
> Whereas with the method Uche and I were talking about you'd be stuck.

Well, not completely, but I admit that the work-around is hideous:

exsl:call('concat', '', 'a', '', 'b', '', 'c')

I guess I'm beginning to cave into the idea of

exsl:call('my:func', 'Name1?Value1", 'Name2?Value2')

Where "?" is to be replaced by some delimiter, perhaps space.

However, it does seem rather kludgy.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101