Re: [xsl] [exsl] Draft 0.1 - call for comments

Subject: Re: [xsl] [exsl] Draft 0.1 - call for comments
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 01:09:10 -0700
> As a further extension to exsl:function, I think it would be useful to be
> able to specify that the XSLT function should only be used if an appropriate
> built-in function is not available. In some cases, you might want to do the
> reverse, and override a built-in extension function.
>
>   e.g.
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" prefer="saxon:intersection">
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" prefer="saxon:intersection
>         xt:intersection my-processor:intersection">
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" override="saxon:intersection">
>
> In the first example, any calls to set:intersection would call the built-in
> saxon:intersection. In the last example, calls to saxon:intersection would
> call the XSLT function instead.

Not a bad idea in general as a compatibility bridge, but is it practical?
Aren'tmany of the exsl extensions likely to have some differences from the
vendor-specific ones?

> The real benefit would be that the namespace prefix could be omitted from
> the prefer or override attribute values to affect any extension function of
> that name on a particular implementation.
>
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" prefer="intersection">
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" override="intersection">
> or, perhaps:
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" prefer="*:intersection">
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" override="*:intersection">
> or, even better?
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" prefer-builtin="true()">
>       <exsl:function name="set:intersection" override-builtin="true()">

I don't see this as necessary.  For instance, in 4XSLT I'd make such an
optimization automatic.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101