[xsl] Re: namespace values

Subject: [xsl] Re: namespace values
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:27:23 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mike,

You're not alone in your feeling towards the EXSLT discussion.

Early in the discussion I did question where there had been any
relationship between EXSLT and XSLT -- this led to the change of
the name of the whole initiative to EXSLT.

The EXSLT initiative is a good initial set of user requirements
for ***the real thing to come in XSLT 2.0***, but not more than that.

Other people like Kevin Jones also expressed their concern that
implementing EXSLT may lead to undesirable complexity.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xsl-list/2001-03/msg00041.html

Anybody has the right to invent a totally new language for processing
XML documents. The danger is not to really start thinking this is standard
XSLT and mixing the two together.

The just published "rationale" proves these concerns:

"XSLT processor implementers should implement the extensions as documented, or
incorporate third-party implementations of the elements and functions."

Nobody can force an implementor to implement/incorporate a set of extensions.
EXSLT does not have the normative force of a W3C Recommendation.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.

Mike Brown wrote:

I just lost interest in both the RDDL and EXSLT discussions because I
apparently missed the posts that said why these things were so necessary.
What reason do these specs have to exist? What problems do they solve? Who
should be reading them and building implementations around them? No one
has bothered to put this information in the specs themselves. Look at the
XSLT spec, for example. There is an Abstract at the top that says exactly
what XSLT is designed for and how it relates not only to other specs but
also to more tangible activities.

All right, to be fair, in the case of EXSLT, the justification is in there
somewhere, but it is in a verbose discussion deep in one of the secondary
documents, rather than in concisely in the main introduction(s). Again, I
have great respect for Jeni and all the others who contributed, but I
don't think I'm alone when I say I wish I knew why I should be keeping up
with the discussion for it.

   - Mike