[xsl] Re:

Subject: [xsl] Re:
From: Larry Garfield <lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:53:03 -0600
I'm not sure if the XSLT spec has a method for doing this intrinsically, but
since XSLT has full closure, it should be possible to simply string the two
together in your engine.  For instance, if you were using the xalan testXSLT
program as your processing engine, you would pipe from one call to another using
a command line like the following:

testXSLT -in myfile.xml -xsl format.xsl | testXSLT -xsl display.xsl -out
myfile.html

(I think that syntax should work.)

Other XSLT engines will have their own ways of doing that, so check the
documentation on whatever it is you're using.  The bottom line is you don't want
to do everything inside the same file, you want to string the two files together
sequentially.  That's the nice thing about closure, it makes it possible to do
this sort of thing indefinitely.

Alex Reuter wrote:

> Hello List,
> I'm having trouble with something.  I have two xsl's, one that formats the
> contents of an xml file - call it format.xsl, and one that display's those
> contents in an html format - call it display.xsl.
>
> I want the display.xsl to have format.xsl format the file before display.xsl
> does any processing.  I'm running into trouble using <xsl:include> because
> either
> a) I appear to have template matching conflicts, templates matching on the
> same expression.
> b)I'm not entirely sure that the formatting is getting done to the result
> set and then passed on the display templates.
> c)something i'm missing
>
> I guess my general question is, how do you have one xsl output an xml file
> and then have a 2nd xsl automatically process it?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Larry Garfield
lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you have a PalmOS Organizer?  Click here to add me to your address book:
http://signature.coola.com/?lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)