Re: [xsl] browsers with XSL capabilities

Subject: Re: [xsl] browsers with XSL capabilities
From: Peter Flynn <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:22:07 +0000
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> For an editor's application requiring something as pervasive as a MS browser
> does not seem to be hard to swallow.

No, but making an application wholly dependent on a single
manufacturer's product may mean sacrificing some future
flexibility.

> I have been working with open source products (xalan, xerces) for display
> and with Interwoven as the content management/entry tool and it sucks!
> Perhaps it is that our implementors cannot create a usable gui (totally
> possible) but I have not seen any user friendly systems for entering content
> (and I have looked) that will end up as XML. It is a major failing.

epcEdit (www.tksgml.de) is late beta. Needs some work still but
extremely promising and already very usable. Runs tcl so it is
also cross-platform.

> Standards are great and I am all for them unless they can't do what I need
> them to do.

I doubt if it is the standards themselves which are to blame for
lack of software choice. Vendors only make what sells (well, in
theory :-) but they are sometimes rather behind the leading edge.

> I would love an open source alternative. Perhaps Netscape 8 (probably their
> next release) will have something close. And perhaps they can get Netscape
> to display itself before I can go to the bathroom and come back.

Unlikely. They are paying the penalty for refusing to listen:
it's been something of a tradition with them since Mosaic was
spun off.

///Peter