Re: [xsl] Catching Entities With XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Catching Entities With XSLT?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:19:43 +0100
> Netscape4 doesn't seem to like some
> HTML character entities that my XSLT
> outputs.

Netscape 4's implementation of the HTML entity set is just broken.

>  I've thought the best way
> of handling this is to get the stylesheet
> to transform them into explicit &#____;

It's handling of numeric character entities is only slightly less
broken, so this sometimes works.

The easiest way to do this is just post process the HTML that your XSL
system writes out: give it to perl or sed or somthing to globaly change
&alpha; to &# whatever.

> If my DTD defines &alpha;, should Netscape
> expand it or should XSLT?

which DTD?
If you mean the DTD on the input to XSLT then the XML parser
will expand them before XSLT sees them.

If you mean in the output (HTML) DTD then XSLT engines are allowed to
output the characters in any way legal in HTML, so as character data, or
a numeric references, or as entity references. These are supposed to be
equivalent but Netscape4 doesn't follow the rules...

David