Re: [xsl] XSL vs. JSP...

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL vs. JSP...
From: "XML Everywhere" <host@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:17:25 -0700
Basically I want to generate a form from an XML document.
The number of form fields might be static
but the XML document may contain information
such as the user's name and display preferences.

If you want to take full advantage of JSP's features
you're stuck generating JSP-specific tags which requires
a recompilation.

The way around the recompilation step is simply to
process form fields yourself when the form
is posted back.  JSP can hide this complexity
from the developer but only if the JSP code/tags
are statically generated rather than dynamically
generated.

For example, let's say
want to change the background color of
a form via an XML document, or
change fonts, switch to German, etc.  Generally you're getting
into tricky territory any time you want to
generate anything inside a <FORM>
tag.

This generally works (there are some dynamic
and some static parts of the page):

<%
    run XSLT here..
%>

<FORM>
   ... hard-coded form stuff here ...
</FORM>

<%
    run XSLT here..
%>

This doesn't: (it generates the entire
page on the fly):

<%
  run XSLT here...
%>

In the first case, the form fields are essentially hard-coded (or contains
hard-coded JSP code).  The form elements are not generated as
in the second example.

In my opinion, anything you can do to support XSLT-generated
web sites efficiently is a good thing.  I think Microsoft made
an error in judgment by not supporting XSLT more in ASP.NET.