RE: [xsl] Re-visiting a Child Node

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re-visiting a Child Node
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:13:26 +0100

> This could get quite complicated, but the table I want to
> produce looks
> like:
> http://212.87.82.97/moorgate/xml_interface/SecurityholdingVali
> dation.htm
>

> 			<xsl:apply-templates
> select="*[name()=$ChildNode/$SelectNode]" />

You still haven't grasped that a variable represents a value, not a part of
an XPath expression. This isn't a macro language where variables are
textually substituted into the source fo the expression before the
expression is parsed. $ChildNode is a string, and the "/" operator follows
an axis from the thing on its left, and following an axis from a string
leads nowhere.

In this case, you've half-switched to the right idea. You can probably do

select=*[name()=$ChildNode]/*[name()=$SelectNode]

But essentially, the message is that standard XSLT 1.0 doesn't allow dynamic
construction of XPaths, to do this you need the xx:evaluate() extension.

Mike Kay
Software AG