RE: linefeeds (RE: [xsl] DTD help!)

Subject: RE: linefeeds (RE: [xsl] DTD help!)
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:16:40 +0100
> In fact xalan (and xt too) output a linefeed directly after the
> xml declaration, whereas saxon doesn't.
>
> Don't know if there's somewhere a statement in the spec which defines
> which behaviour is more correct.

A linefeed after an XML declaration in an XML document is insignificant, so
it doesn't matter whether it's there or not.

But a linefeed after a text declaration in an XML external general parsed
entity is significant, and therefore shouldn't be generated unless the user
requests it. Since I can't tell whether the output is intended to be a
document or an EGPE, I don't generate the linefeed, and I think a product
that does so is incorrect.

Mike Kay
Software AG