Re: [xsl] Numbering quandry

Subject: Re: [xsl] Numbering quandry
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:40:03 +0100
Stephen:

It looks like you have the numbering of each node working okay, it's the numbering of the parent that's not working.

That's because when you say
        <xsl:text>Section </xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select="@title"/>
        <xsl:text> (</xsl:text>
        <xsl:number level="multiple" count="section" format="1.1.0"/>
        <xsl:text>, parent </xsl:text>
        <xsl:number level="multiple" count="section/section" format="1.1.0"/>
        <xsl:text>)</xsl:text>

that second <xsl:number ...> is still taking the current node matched by the template as its context node. The 'count' attribute identifies what nodes should be counted, but it doesn't change the fact that the number inserted is 'based on the position of the current node in the source tree' [XSLT 7.7].

So to count the parent, you have to change the current node to be the parent of the node your template has matched, for that invocation of the <xsl:number/> instruction. You can do this by wrapping it in a for-each like so:

        <xsl:text>Section </xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select="@title"/>
        <xsl:text> (</xsl:text>
        <xsl:number level="multiple" count="section" format="1.1.0"/>
        <xsl:text>, parent </xsl:text>
       <xsl:for-each select="..">
         <xsl:number level="multiple" count="section/section" format="1.1.0"/>
       </xsl:for-each>
        <xsl:text>)</xsl:text>

which will count the correct nodes ... then you'll have to adjust the 'count' attribute to count the correct nodes (I'll leave you to figure that out).

Good luck,
Wendell