Online version of a book (was Re: [xsl] XSL selection of apply templates)

Subject: Online version of a book (was Re: [xsl] XSL selection of apply templates)
From: "Sergej Rinc" <sergej@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:33:09 +0200
  Benoit Michel (I again had to correct surname from Mandelbrot, known for
his Fractal Geometry book) has written XML Bible for SAMS. Due to printer
errors (pages were missing or so) SAMS has offered a free PDF version of the
first edition of this book on their website. When this was announced on one
XML-related mailing list probably server load was noticed and - you've
guessed - SAMS has removed a PDF online although one can probably get it if
he fills the support form and explains above. Seems fair to me.

  I like the idea of having an electronic version of a book on an included
CD-ROM - at least searching can be much faster (what about copying and
citing information or reusing scripts/stylesheets etc). Or separately
available book and CD-ROM for those who don't need or want both. Or having
previous edition in electronic form for free on the web since for all the
latest hot stuff I have to buy a new edition anyway.

  And there's allways a balance between administration (electronic version
but not free so must having a system with passwords etc for e-book copies)
and ease of use (PDF, e-book which works only on windows etc). Oliver, would
you ever pay for next edition of e-book now that many authors are offering
in a viral marketing way all subsequent editions for free (examples: Activ
E-book compiler, Ken Holman's book eth)? Do you actually have two editions
of some books? I don't. In my defence I might have given some old editions
to my friends ...

Sergej Rinc, Certified Doc-To-Help Trainer
Master XML, Master HTML 4.0, Master WAP
mailto:sergej@xxxxxxx, http://sergej.rinc.ws