Re: [xsl] using multiple xsl's with one xml

Subject: Re: [xsl] using multiple xsl's with one xml
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:29:17 +0100
Hi Carlton,

> I am fairly new to XML/XSL. I need to know how to associate
> different XSL files with a single XML file. For example I would like
> to have a table of contents on one page and the text on another
> built from the same XML doc.

You *can* use multiple xsl-stylesheet processing instructions in your
XML page to associated multiple stylesheets with the same XML, but no
application that I know of (aside from Chris Bayes' IE extension) will
actually use that.

That means you have three main choices:

  1. Use a script of some kind, server-side or client-side, or a batch
     file if you're doing a batch transform, to transform the XML with
     the different stylesheets.

  2. Have a controlling stylesheet that imports the different views,
     have the templates in the different view stylesheets use
     different modes, and then use a parameter to choose which mode to
     use, and therefore which view to get.

  3. Have a stylesheet that generates a stylesheet that gives the
     relevant view, again based on a parameter.

If you want more details about any of these, ask away.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison