RE: [xsl] Fwd: Re: unable to dynamically set sort order

Subject: RE: [xsl] Fwd: Re: unable to dynamically set sort order
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:59:58 +0100
>            Thanks for your reply, when I read about the
> xsl:sort, it seems
> to me that for the select attribute we can specify an
> expression (this can
> be any xpath expression ?). Well if I tried that (I specifed
> the XPath
> expression as "/xx/yy/zz/sortColumn", it doesn't seem to be
> working..

That expression has the same value for every node being sorted.

Your expression evaluates to the sort key. It doesn't evaluate to a string
containing an expression that evaluates to the sort key. (If you want that,
you need the xx:evaluate() extension function available in some products,
e.g. Saxon and Xalan).

And
> for the order attribute, I can only use the string "ascending
> | descending".
> I can't even use a variable.

You can use an attribute value template here, order="{$order}"

Mike Kay