[xsl] XSL List

Subject: [xsl] XSL List
From: Gustaf Liljegren <gustafl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 04:36:22 +0200
I'm making an FO stylesheet for a doctype with recursive headers, like this:

<!ELEMENT part (header, (part | p | codeblock | note | list |
  table | image)*)>

So, <part> is the divider in this doctype, and there may be an arbitrary
number of levels, like:

<part>
  <header>Chapter level</header>
  <part>
    <header>Second level</header>
    <part>
      <header>Third level</header>
    </part>
  </part>
</part>

First I thought that this structure would allow me to make something
intelligent when it comes to styling the headers at different levels. After
all, the FO attributes are all the same for different levels of headers,
with the exception of font-size. The idea was to decrease only the size 4pt
for each level, but I have since abandoned this idea, since it got too
complicated. If you got a finished solution, I'm very interested though...

Now I'm working on another solution, but it involves lots of duplicated
code, and SAXON complains about ambigious matching patterns. Ideal would be
if the stylesheet allowed as much flexibility as the DTD itself, but I'm
prepared to use a fixed number of headers if that is necessary.

Gustaf Liljegren