[xsl] Re: Re: node-set

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: node-set
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 04:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
Francis Norton wrote:

> Michael Kay wrote:
> >
> > > Simulating dynamic evaluation of XPath Expressions "by
> > > calling selectNodes() within
> > > a JScript extension" is not always possible.

> > Microsoft's selectNodes() function is very inadequately documented, but I
> > think you are almost certainly right.
> >
> And, at the risk of stating the obvious, selectNodes does return
> nodesets, so you can't use if for any XPath expression which returns a
> number, string or boolean.
>
> I hope that when an XPath query function does get included in the DOM
> (is it in DOM 3?) they get this right, it's a frustrating limitation.

This can be done with JScript + MSXML3 (as is currently implemented in the XPath
Visualiser).

One can catch the exception thrown by selectNodes() and check the error message text
(unfortunately the same error number is used by MS for several different errors).

Then, in case this is the text for "our" error message, in a special stylesheet
change a parameter's "select" attribute to our XPath expression and apply the
stylesheet.

The only thing this stylesheet does is to copy the (scalar) value of the parameter
to the output.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.