[xsl] Newbie XSL Advice

Subject: [xsl] Newbie XSL Advice
From: "Hewko, Doug" <Doug.Hewko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:58:38 -0400
Hi!

I would like some advice on how to go about expanding my knowledge in
XML/XSL. I am playing around with a intranet site and hopefully can put it
into production some time. Very basic and it uses client-side XML. Our
standard platform is MS IE 5.5 without plug-ins, so I am quite limited. I
did install the new MSXML4 parser, but it only runs in side-by-side mode.
Upgrading 10 000 computers to the new parser is pretty much an
impossibility, so my client-side XML will always have a limited audience.

My eventual goal is to have something that can be displayed as easily on a
Palm or cell phone as on a personal computer.

I just found out that one of my development servers supports ASP, so I can
try to create server-side XML code. I do not know what version of parsers
the servers use; I'm still trying to figure out how to test if I can have
server-side XML on them. (All I did was a simple ASP file to get the time,
and a ASP file to output an XML structure to my browser.)

My question is should I jump into ASP and use that for server-side XML,
should I download XALAN and use that, or should I try to get the MSXML4 to
work and use some of the cool XSL features such as variables and the
not-so-cool XSL features like "<xsl:output method="?