RE: [xsl] This can't be right, XML with no root element: Saxon & XT vs. Xalan

Subject: RE: [xsl] This can't be right, XML with no root element: Saxon & XT vs. Xalan
From: "Dylan Walsh" <Dylan.Walsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:37:16 +0100
From:	Tony Graham [SMTP:Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:	Friday, July 27, 2001 12:10 PM
To:	xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:	RE: [xsl] This can't be right, XML with no root element:
Saxon & XT vs. Xalan

<snip>

Thank you for that detailed answer. Two years working with XML/XSLT and
today whole new world is opened up to me. The XML bible makes no
reference that I can find to these text declarations.

Is it correct then to use this in a text declaration?:
<?xml encoding="utf-8"?>

On the more general issue, I take it that either Xalan or Cocoon has a
bug in this area (a bug I like, but a bug all the same). I'm wondering
about Schematrons output. While it may not be incorrect, wouldn't the
best thing be to use the text output mode? It is just text afterall.

When do you use external parsed entities with plain text? Do all
external parsed entities have to have the declaration, so you cannot
read in a simple ASCII file, for example?