[xsl] saving in one if loop and using it in another

Subject: [xsl] saving in one if loop and using it in another
From: "john smith" <john_smith73@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:39:43 +0000
Given the following:

<xsl:for-each select="INPUT/*/descendant::*">
 <xsl:element name="APPLY">
   <xsl:if test="position() != 1">
     %%%%%%%%%%
   </xsl:if>
   <xsl:if test="position() = 1">
     <PATH>
       <xsl:value-of select="(name())"/>
     </PATH>
   </xsl:if>
 </xsl:element>
</xsl:for-each>

I want to save the name of the node inside the position() = 1 if loop and be able to use its value in the %%%%%%%%%% line (where the position() is != 1)....How can I do it? Can I use the <xsl:variable> or <xsl:param> to save the name of the node and then use it? If so, how?

A general question would be in a for-each loop, how can I save the value of an entity in one if loop and be able to use it in another if loop..?