Re: [xsl] Reasons behind implicit rules?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Reasons behind implicit rules?
From: Goetz Bock <bock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 02:46:03 +0200
On Tue, Aug 07 '01 at 10:24, Joel Beach wrote:
> Just wondering why the XSLT WG chose to implement the implicit rule where
> all text not defined by a template undergoes an identity transformation? To
> me, it just seems nicer to define what you want to be output.
You can easyly achive this with the following catch all roule:

<xsl:template match="node()" priority="2" />

you could use the same for attributes, but generally when you do a deep
copy, you realy want to get the attributes. I'm not sure about the
priority, but if you don't assign a not default (weeker) priority at
last some xslt processors complain about ambiquose matches ... you
should just try it and in case of trouble check your favorite manual.

--
Goetz Bock                                              IT Consultant
Dipl.-Inf. Univ.