RE: [xsl] xml2xml problem!

Subject: RE: [xsl] xml2xml problem!
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:15:29 +0100
> Could you articulate more what are the cases where you can't visual
> design the mapping ?

>From what I've seen of the "connect the boxes" visual mapping tools, the
technique works well in cases where the structure of the source and target
are similar (which was true of the problem that our opportunistic advertiser
was responding to). The technique doesn't work well where the structures are
dissimilar, for example where there is a grouping problem, or hierarchic
inversion, or basically any change in the way that relationships are
represented (e.g. changing from hierarchic representation of a relationship
to ID/IDREF representation, or vice versa).

But of course it might be that some of the tools can handle some of these
structural transformations as well.

Mike Kay
Software AG