Re: [xsl] uninstall parsers

Subject: Re: [xsl] uninstall parsers
From: "Sergej Rinc" <sergej@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:03:56 +0200
  Jeffrey

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:46:07 +0000
> From: "Jeffrey Langdon" <jl_xsl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [xsl] uninstall parsers
>
> . has developed a Windows like Explorer treeview menu in XML. It works on
> everyone's computer except mine. We can't figure out why I keep getting an
> error.  All the error says is the following - Error: class not registered.
> My thought was to unistall all the parsers I have on my machine and then
> reinstall msxml3.dll

  While I've glimpsed your source code and I am convinced you don't have any
system, sharing and other issues for your XML application, it might be the
problem you have MSXML3 installed but your application is really written for
MSXML2(.5), e.g. for WD-XSL and not XSLT 1.0. See http://www.netcrucible.com
for more info.

>Below is the XML code for the treeview.  The XSLT file used for the
>transformation is the default one built into Microsoft's I.E.

  This was a reason for my thoughts above. Since

res://msxml3.dll/defaultss.xsl (or msxml1.dll, msxml2.dll)

  (in your IE browser) clearly states that its namespace is not XSLT I would
suspect this to be the biggest problem. So you probably have to uninstall
MSXML3 parser since it's not installed on other computers at your place.
Easiest way to uninstall it is to just type in command prompt

regsvr32 -u msxml3.dll

  You probably must have administrator rights for system registry to do
that. Then reinstall MSXML 2.5 SP1 parser back if needed. And to please all
lister's - your SME should use XSLT (and MSXML3 in replace mode) and not
proprietary, non-standard XSL language.

BTW since I am an InstallShield pro, I could create such an uninstaller for
all parsers but I would have to know all locations, folders, files and
registry changes to reverse them all. I might get to do that by using XSLT
Test Tool Installer (a batch file and custom downloader with unzip facility)
http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/xslt-install.htm
but it really is usually - as Oliver Becker has written - unnecessary since
only XML3 changes registry (I presume no other XSLT processors on Windows
do) so such uninstaller requires more effort to write than to simply delete
some folders on your machine. I might be wrong here.

Sergej Rinc, Certified Doc-To-Help Trainer
Master XML, Master XSL, Master WAP
Member, International Webmasters Association http://iwanet.org
mailto:sergej@xxxxxxx, http://sergej.rinc.ws