[xsl] Conditional expressions using optional attributes/elements

Subject: [xsl] Conditional expressions using optional attributes/elements
From: William Bagby <williamb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:23:56 -0400
Greetings.  I have two related problems.

Problem 1:

I have an element which has optional attributes, and I want to test the
values of these attributes.  Here's the DTD for the element:

<!ELEMENT my-element (#PCDATA)>
<!ATTLIST my-element
	enabled (true|false) #IMPLIED
	override (true|false) #IMPLIED

and I have the following XSL:

<xsl:template match="my-element">

<xsl:if test="@enabled != 'false' and @override != 'false'">
	<!-- do something -->
</xsl:if>

</xsl:template>

But if the attributes are not defined, it doesn't act as expected.

Problem 2:

I have an element which has optional *elements*, and I want to test the
values of attributes of these elements.  Here's the DTD:

<!ELEMENT my-element (enabled*, override*)>
<!ATTLIST enabled
	value (true|false) #IMPLIED

<!ATTLIST override
	value (true|false) #IMPLIED

and I have the following XSL:

<xsl:template match="my-element">

<xsl:if test="enabled/@value != 'false' and override/@value != 'false'">
	<!-- do something -->
</xsl:if>

</xsl:template>

But if the *elements* are not defined, it doesn't act as expected.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

William Bagby.