Re: [xsl] Evaluating XPath expressions found in the source document

Subject: Re: [xsl] Evaluating XPath expressions found in the source document
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:56:24 +0100
Hi Michael,

> James Pasley wrote:
>> If the source document that I am processing contains XPath
>> expressions, how do I write a stylesheet that will process them?
>>
>> For example, given the following input file
>>
>> <rootTag>concat('A','B')</rootTag>
>>
>> how do I get "AB", in the output instead of "concat('A','B')".
>
> Maybe my ignorance is showing again, but surely that's an XSLT
> function, not an XPath expression?

No, it is an XPath expression, consisting of a single function call. I
think that the terminology confusion comes because XPath sounds as
though it's just about paths, but actually location paths are just one
type of expression (albeit the most common). Expressions cover
anything that you can put in the select attribute of xsl:value-of, so
include arithmetic and function calls.

Most functions, including concat(), are defined as part of XPath;
there are only a handful of functions defined in XSLT, like
format-number() and document().

Cheers,

Jeni

---