Re: [xsl] streaming multiple XML input

Subject: Re: [xsl] streaming multiple XML input
From: "cutlass" <cutlass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:35:12 +0100
there is nothing in native XSLT that allows u to explicitly 'stream' in
content, except for using external methods in the fashion u gave as an
example.

this is something i brought up a long time ago, that at some point we may
want to replace our document() calls with streams.

i think typical use cases would see current file based programming migrate
to using XML repositories or incorporating external real time xml
generators, this introduces some real 'no no's' with respect to functional
programming, if one was thinking of adding a new native function to XSLT
core.

a more 'transactional' based approach would be to use a SOAP service to
bring the data into your application as xml,which once again requires
external functions to actuate the SOAP call ( take a look at www.bayes.co.uk
anyservice clientside example.

this would cause me to once again to suggest the crazy idea that maybe all
XSLT parsers should have client side SOAP ability built in, hmm maybe there
is an EXSLT function in there somewhere.

there are a lot of server side efforts that return a well formed xml
document based on a query string, which of course is not XSLT related, but
does the job using pure http as transport.

cheers, jim