Re: [xsl] Re: Overlapping structures

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Overlapping structures
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:45:55 +0100
> Can somebody give an example to justify why such an ugly thing might be necessary in
> the first place?

Not all information naturally falls into a tree.

TEI (at least) has always made use of such empty markers to some extent.
For example if you are marking up a manuscript (rather than in idealised
view of the document) you might want to base the XML tree on the logical
document structure of chapters, sections etc, but still need to mark up
things like page 1 starts here, page 1 ends here. Monk X burnt a hole
here in 1555 and I can't read from here to... here

Not that I've ever done any of this of course, just reading some of the
descriptions of the use of some of the elements...

David