Re: [xsl] MSXML 4.0 install warning

Subject: Re: [xsl] MSXML 4.0 install warning
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:17:28 +0100
Joshua, Julia,

Thanks for getting back to me about my MSXML/Installer 2 problem. Sorry
I couldn't respond earlier: net connection down.

Apologies to xsl-listers who don't want to know about MS-related
problems, but I think a lot of them would be interested in this one, so
I'll copy to list.

I did indeed follow the instructions for manually uninstalling and
deregistering my MSXML4 beta on Win2K Pro). After downloading and
installing Installer 2 and rebooting on request, MSXML4 release version
installed fine and worked perfectly with IE5.5, XML Spy, from the
command line, and when called from various VB apps of mine.

But Office 2K apps put up an installer window, said they couldn't find
data1.msi, and when pointed to it from my CDROM, said it wasn't a valid
file. When I clicked on the .msi file from the CDROM in Explorer, I got
the same invalid file message whether I chose the "Repair" or
"Reinstall" options offered. I also noticed that the shortcut properties
window for my Office Apps now said "This Application is installed on
demand", even though my installations had been full installs to my local
disk.

Eventually, after posting to the list, I tried my FrontPage 2K install
CD. This time, it let me do a "reinstall" from its data1.msi, and once
that was done, not only did FP2K run, but all my other O2K Apps were
back again. At that point, the water company drilled through my cable,
so I couldn't spread the good news til now. So I'm happy(ish) again, but
still a bit puzzled.

Michael
Michael Beddow   http://www.mbeddow.net/
XML and the Humanities page:  http://xml.lexilog.org.uk/