[xsl] How do I remove the unnecessary white spaces

Subject: [xsl] How do I remove the unnecessary white spaces
From: Mailer Mailer <maillistboxes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi XSL gurus,

I am using an xml and xsl to create a text file.
The generated text file contains unnecessary spaces.
Can anyone help me how to remove it.
I have defined a template in my xsl
<xsl:template name="getDepthFirstNumber">
<xsl:value-of select="count(ancestor::*) +
count(preceding::*)"/>
</xsl:template>

I am calling this template again and again in other
template using call-template.
The place where I use this, it gives me lots of spaces
and then the value is printed.
I tried using the strip-space also but it does not
work and it spoils my parent child calculations.
This is again a question why strip space messes my
parent child count etc?
I am using saxon 6.22 parser and xml spy as editor.

Suggestions and pointer are welcome

TIA
Deep