Re: [xsl] strange behaviour in Xalan

Subject: Re: [xsl] strange behaviour in Xalan
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Oct 2001 16:24:27 +0100

    >> 2. Where does '
    >> xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"; ' come from?

    Michael> That namespace declaration is implicit on every node, but
    Michael> it should never be output on serialization. (Though I'm
    Michael> not sure if the spec actually prohibits it).

I've been considering this very point recently. It appears to me that
it is perfectly acceptable (though inefficient) behaviour for
serialisation to output this, as
1) The standard doesn't prohibit it (I've looked, though I may have
missed it), and
2) defining the xml namespace is allowed provided that the exact same
definition as seen above is used.

Therefore when the serialised XML is parsed afresh, there won't be a
problem.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire